Young Women’s Activation and Innovation funds launched
Two new funds designed to get more young women physically active through recreation and sport launch today.
Sport New Zealand is investing $1 million across the Young Women’s Activation Fund and the Innovations for Young Women Fund. Initiatives that specifically target young women aged 12 to 18 will be eligible.
The funds are a direct result of the Women and Girls in Sport and Active Recreation Strategy launched by the Government in October last year.
“The strategy recognised there were clear inequalities for women and girls when it came to participation and their wider involvement and visibility within sport and active recreation.
“I’m thrilled to see Sport New Zealand delivering on its commitments to the strategy and enabling new opportunities for young women in two of our priority areas – participation and leadership,” Sport and Recreation Minister Grant Robertson said.
Sport New Zealand will invest $3 million in total over the next three years to support initiatives and activities that help achieve the strategy’s goals.
To learn more about the strategy, view funding guidelines and apply: www.sportnz.org.nz/womenandgirls
Note to editors:
Young Women’s Activation Fund
- Provides support to national and regional organisations in the creation and implementation of new opportunities for young women in play, active recreation and sport
- Focus on targeting young women aged 12-18 to get and stay active and/or developing their leadership skills
- Eligible organisations can apply for $30 - $100k per project over a maximum of three years to support their initiatives
- Applications close Friday 17 May
Innovations for Young Women Fund
- This is designed for smaller organisations or teams to submit their best innovative ideas which target young women aged 12-18 to get and stay active
- The successful teams will be invited to develop their idea at an innovation weekend, which will include expert advice and support
- Developed ideas are then eligible to apply for one-off funding of up to $25,000 per project
Applications close Monday 27 May