Take care over the holidays – Get Ready Get Thru adsCivil Defence
Civil Defence Minister John Carter is urging New Zealanders to take a few simple precautions and keep safe over the holidays.
"To help people be prepared, the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management is broadcasting its ‘Get Ready Get Thru' ads from January 4 to 17," Mr Carter said.
The television and radio advertisements can be seen and heard on the campaign website.
"You could be anywhere when an emergency strikes, and that is especially true during holidays when you usual routines don't apply."
Being prepared with a simple plan is just as important when you are in a new or unfamiliar place as it is when you are home or at work. Some things to consider:
- The local city or district council is always the civil defence contact point no matter where you are in the country. Their telephone numbers are in the local Yellow Pages.
- For up-to-date highway conditions visit http://www.transit.govt.nz/road/highwayinfo.jsp or telephone 0800 44 44 49.
- For weather forecasts and warnings visit www.metservice.com
- Think about how you would get in touch with your family or friends, or where you would meet, if you were separated.
- Consider what the local hazards might be and remember the standard safety messages, e.g. during an earthquake take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture and hold on, do not drive through flood waters, stay inside during a storm and keep away from windows and doors etc.
- Have spare water bottles in your car - they are useful even if you are stuck in a holiday traffic.