Supporting our regions with $2.3 million investment in the Great Rides
The Government is investing a further $2.3 million in the Great Rides, which draw visitors to our regions, boosting local economies and the tourism sector, Tourism Minister Kelvin Davis announced today.
Government funding of $1.3 million will create an extra 34.5 km of new cycle ways on the Hawke’s Bay Trails Great Ride, adding to the over 200 km of largely off-road flat trails.
“Getting out on the bike is a great way to experience New Zealand and the 22 Great Rides of Ngā Haerenga, New Zealand Cycle Trail showcase the best of our country, providing over one million people every year with an experience they don’t forget,” Kelvin Davis said.
“The Great Rides are particularly important to our regions. This investment will lead to a significant extension to the Hawke’s Bay Trails and we expect it to contribute to a four per cent increase in users by 2023.”
An additional $1 million has also been approved to make urgent safety repairs on the Alps 2 Ocean trail, following severe flooding on the track, and other track enhancements across seven trails.
“The cycle trails encourage international visitors and Kiwis to explore outside of the main centres and boost our local economies. We need to make sure we look after them.
“Ongoing investment to enhance and maintain the Great Rides means we’ll keep these world class trails for generations to come,” Kelvin Davis said.
Notes to editors:
Hawke’s Bay Trails Great Ride:
- $1.343 million of co-funding has been approved to build three new extensions to the Hawke’s Bay Trails Great Ride. This includes:
- 7.5 km Bay View to Whirinaki extension which extends the popular Hawke’s Bay coastal trails northwards
- 16 km Ngaruroro Explorer which will provide an attractive, easy and off-road loop route around the Ngaruroro River
- 11 km Karamu Stream extension which will create a safe, off-road link to the Wineries Ride
- The funding comes from the New Zealand Cycle Trail Enhancement and Extension Fund that provides up to $6 million each year to extend or improve the 22 Great Rides.
- Since 2016, over $20 million has been invested across five of the trails from the Enhancement and Extension Fund.
Maintaining the Quality of Great Ride Fund:
- The Maintaining the Quality of Great Ride Fund (MGR) provides up to $2 million to maintain and improve existing sections of the New Zealand Cycle Trail.
- $378,000 has been approved for repairs to the Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail following severe flooding in the Mackenzie and Waitaki Districts in November 2018.
- $627,339 has been approved from Round 10 of the MGR for other maintenance projects across seven trails. Further details from the Round 10 funding round can be found at https://www.mbie.govt.nz/immigration-and-tourism/tourism/tourism-funding/nga-haerenga-the-new-zealand-cycle-trail/maintaining-the-quality-of-great-rides-fund/
For more information, visit the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website: https://www.mbie.govt.nz/immigration-and-tourism/tourism/tourism-funding/nga-haerenga-the-new-zealand-cycle-trail/ .