Ministers launch summer road safety campaignTransport Police
Police Minister Michael Woodhouse and Associate Transport Minister Craig Foss today launched the ‘Reach the beach safely this summer’ campaign, an initiative led by New Zealand Police.
Last year’s Safer Summer campaign had a great impact with a significant decline in the proportion of people speeding on our roads and a reduction in deaths and serious injuries.
“Summer is a busy time on the road and we want to build on last year’s efforts by again enforcing speed limits and lower alcohol limits,” Mr Woodhouse says.
“There are still too many crashes or deaths on our roads that could have easily been avoided by people taking their time and driving within the speed limit.
“This Government takes road safety extremely seriously and Police will be out in force again this summer so speeding and drink drivers should beware.”
Mr Foss says the campaign reflects the Government’s Safer Journeys Road Safety strategy, which aims to create a safer environment for all road users.
“As part of the Safer Journeys strategy, the Government has introduced a number of measures in recent years, including changing give way rules, lowering alcohol limits for young drivers and building safer roads.
“I am confident the December 1 introduction of the lower adult breath and blood alcohol limits will help make our roads safer and save lives this summer.
"As a country, we talk a lot about road crash statistics, but the numbers can never tell the full story of tragedy and loss felt by our families, friends and communities when someone is killed or seriously injured.
"This summer we want everybody to get where they are going safely,” Mr Foss says.