ICT Graduate Schools move one step closerTertiary Education, Skills and Employment
Six groups have been invited to submit full proposals to operate Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Graduate Schools in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment Minister Steven Joyce announced today.
The six, comprised of tertiary education providers and business partners, were shortlisted following stage one of a two-stage tender process. They are:
- Massey University
- University of Auckland and University of Waikato
- Auckland University of Technology
- Unitec Institute of Technology, Waikato Institute of Technology, Manukau Institute of Technology and Industry Connect
- Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington Institute of Technology and Whitireia New Zealand
- South Island Tertiary Alliance – Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology, Lincoln University, Otago Polytechnic, University of Canterbury and University of Otago
“The new schools will connect tertiary education and industry to deliver more of the ICT skills New Zealand needs by lifting the training of our next generation of high-tech professionals to another level,” Mr Joyce says.
“It is crucial New Zealand lifts significantly the number of people with high level ICT skills and knowledge so they can help drive a more innovative economy. The strong level of interest from tertiary education providers and businesses indicates we will see some solid proposals to deliver smart approaches to ICT education.
“This is an excellent opportunity for companies to influence New Zealand’s future ICT talent, and for students and institutions to work with some of our most creative firms as they build the skills and knowledge to drive our economy,” Mr Joyce says.
The graduate schools, a $28.6m Budget 2014 initiative, are expected to cater for at least 350 students between them annually, once fully established.
The shortlisted groups have until early March 2015 to submit proposals.
For more information, visit www.tec.govt.nz/ICTgradschool