Government Industry Agreements to strengthen biosecurity

  • Nathan Guy
Primary Industries

Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy has welcomed Cabinet’s approval of the GIA (Government Industry Agreement) Deed as an important tool in strengthening New Zealand’s biosecurity.

“Under the GIA, industry organisations and the Ministry for Primary Industries can sign a Deed that formally establishes the biosecurity partnership. Partners will share decision making, costs, and responsibility in preparing for and responding to biosecurity incursions.

“The GIA is important because it will give industries a direct say in managing biosecurity risk. Joint decision making and co-investment will mean that everyone is working together on the most important priorities.

“Biosecurity is my number one priority as Minister because it is so important in protecting our economy. We know that unwanted pests and diseases can have devastating effects on our farmers and growers,” says Mr Guy

“Biosecurity is a shared responsibility, and it needs everyone to be on board. I’m pleased that industry are keen to step up and contribute their time, expertise, and resources.

“Joint decision making will give industry and government confidence that the best decisions are being made about managing biosecurity.”

“Trade and tourism benefits all New Zealanders, but with it comes the risk that unwanted organisms could enter the country. Government has recognised this with a 20% contribution towards readiness and response costs.  MPI and industry will share the remaining 80% of costs.

“Transitional discounts will help industries adjust to the new partnership arrangements. This means they won’t pay their full share of readiness costs until 2020 and won’t pay their full share of response costs until 2023.  Costs will start being shared for readiness from July 2014 and for responses from July 2017,” says Mr Guy.  

The Deed outlines the formal commitments that signatories make to this partnership, and was developed by a joint industry and MPI working group.

Members of the working group included representatives from the Meat Industry Association, Federated Farmers, Horticulture NZ, NZ Kiwifruit Growers, Dairy NZ, the Forest Owners Association and the poultry and egg industries.

More information is available at