Funding for councils to support young peopleYouth Affairs
Thirty city and district councils will benefit from the 2014 Youth Development Partnership Fund, Youth Affairs Minister Nikki Kaye says.
The allocated $739,000 in funding will provide assistance to local councils for projects that support young people aged 12 to 24.
“This investment will give young people a chance to participate confidently in their communities – to be heard, and to influence local decision-making,” Ms Kaye says.
“The point of this fund is to get young people involved in and leading projects that are meaningful to them and their communities. It also enables them to develop leadership skills, and to volunteer in their communities.”
Since the launch of the Youth Development Partnership Fund in 2005, more than 50 city and district councils have been supported to work with and improve the outcomes for young people in their regions.
“As Minister of Youth Affairs, I see young people throughout New Zealand who are making a valuable contribution to their families and communities. As a nation, it is important that we continue to provide opportunities for them to be involved in meaningful activities that build their skills and confidence, and make a positive difference to the lives of those around them.”
Funding recipients include:
- Buller District Council - $17,000 to develop leadership and event management skills through youth-led community events, including an ANZAC Day 2015 commemoration;
- Christchurch City Council - $13,000 to provide young ethnic leaders with opportunities to intern with and shadow business leaders;
- Hauraki District Council - $15,000 for a youth leader mentoring programme and project to prevent littering;
- Napier City Council - $26,000 to establish a youth broadcast group to develop youth-focused episodes for the local television network and deliver a broadcasting mentoring programme; and
- Thames Coromandel District Council - $20,000 for young people to establish a volunteering system in Thames.
For more information and a full list of recipients: