Film Industry Working Group report welcomed
The Film Industry Working Group has reported back today, providing recommendations on restoring collective bargaining rights to film production workers, says the Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety Iain Lees-Galloway.
The Working Group was set up at the beginning of this year with representation from across the screen industry, Business New Zealand and the Council of Trade Unions.
“The Government is fully supportive of New Zealand’s screen sector and its desire to remain a premium and attractive hub for film production and innovation,” says Iain Lees-Galloway.
“The Coalition Government asked the Film Industry Working Group to come up with a model that would restore rights to bargain collectively, while also allowing workers to continue as contractors if they want to.
“The members have unanimously recommended arrangements that they feel will be suitable for the screen sector and those who work in it. I thank the members of the working group and facilitator Linda Clark for their work.
“The Film Industry Working Group is a great example of the collaborative and constructive relationship between businesses and workers that this Government wants to encourage.
“I’ve heard from working group members that the process has been very positive, bringing together the many different parts of the screen industry, encouraging them to have a voice, and providing a forum to gain greater understandings of each other’s needs.
“The Government will now consider and respond to the recommendations. Any necessary law changes would be introduced next year and go through the normal legislative process,” says Iain Lees-Galloway.
Read the Film Industry Working Group’s report here: https://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-services/employment-skills/legislation-reviews/film-industry-working-group
Members of the Film Industry Working Group:
- Linda Clark, Facilitator (Kensington Swan)
- Alex Lee, Film Auckland
- Alice Shearman, New Zealand Writers Guild
- Augie Davis, Stunt Guild of New Zealand
- Barrie Osborne, film producer
- Brendan Keys, Weta Digital
- Erina Tamepo, Ngā Aho Whakaari
- Melissa Ansell-Bridges, Equity New Zealand
- Michael Brook, Regional Film Offices New Zealand
- Paul Mackay, BusinessNZ
- Richard Fletcher, Screen Production and Development Association
- Richard Wagstaff, New Zealand Council of Trade Unions
- Sioux Macdonald, Screen Industry Guild
- Tui Ruwhiu, Directors and Editors Guild of New Zealand