Feedback sought on short-listed Earthquake Memorial designsCanterbury Earthquake Recovery
Six short-listed designs for the Canterbury Earthquake Memorial have been released for public input today.
The Memorial will honour the victims of Canterbury’s earthquakes and acknowledge the suffering of all those who lived through them as well as the heroism of those who participated in the rescue and recovery operations.
More than 330 submissions were received from 37 countries after designs were sought by the Government, Christchurch City Council and Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu.
The six short-listed were selected last year and have since been adapted following consultation with stakeholders, including those who lost loved ones and those who suffered serious injuries, and in order to ensure they met design criteria.
“I think each of the designs is outstanding and reflects the Canterbury experience in a different way. Every one of them could be a fitting memorial for what we lost and what we have been through as a city,” says Associate Minister for Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Nicky Wagner.
“The public now has a chance to have its say on which design best reflects that shared loss and experience.”
Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel says this is an important step towards having a memorial space that will mean so much to so many people, here and around the world.
“Allowing the public to have a say in how we commemorate what we have lost, while capturing a sense of hope for the future, will make a real difference.”
Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu Kaiwhakahaere Tā Mark Solomon says: “It is very important for the region, our city and our communities to have an appropriate place to honour and reflect on the events of the earthquakes. I believe as a community we will achieve this.”
The short-listed designs can be viewed at www.ccdu.govt.nz/ideas-to-remember and feedback can be given on the website until 15 March.
The designs will be on display at the Christchurch Botanic Gardens on the walkway alongside the Canterbury Museum between February 24 and March 15, when written feedback can also be given.
After feedback from the public, and stakeholders including first responders and those who lost loved ones, an evaluation panel made up of arts professionals, architecture experts and a representative of the bereaved families will make a recommendation on a preferred design.
A Memorial Leadership Group made up of the Associate Minister for Canterbury Earthquake Recovery, the Mayor of Christchurch, Kaiwhakahaere of Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu and the Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage will then consider the panel’s recommendation. The final decision rests with the Minister for Canterbury Earthquake Recovery.
The Government has set aside up to $10 million for the Memorial, along with $1 million from the Christchurch Earthquake Mayoral Relief Fund. The intention is for the Memorial to be completed in 2016.
More on the Canterbury Earthquake Memorial project can be found at www.ccdu.govt.nz