$770,000 to maintain the quality of Great Rides
A further $770,000 is being invested in our regions for the upkeep of eleven Great Rides of Nga Haerenga, the New Zealand Cycle Trail, Tourism Minister Kelvin Davis announced today.
The investment comes from the ninth round of the Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund, which aims to ensure New Zealand’s premier rides are maintained to their current world class standard.
“Every year, over one million people enjoy the 22 Great Rides across New Zealand. This funding will mean these important cycle trails continue to be refined, improved and maintained,” Kelvin Davis said.
“The Great Rides play an important part in the offering that our regions have for tourists from overseas and people from around New Zealand. They showcase some of the best parts of New Zealand, and provide people with a unique and exciting experience.
“A range of work is now able to get underway, including safety and signage improvements, upgrading trail surfaces and replacing bridges. These improvements will make sure people continue to experience top class cycling,” Kelvin Davis said.
Round ten of the Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund is expected to open in early 2019.
Notes to editors
The trails to receive funding are:
- Motu Trails Charitable Trust: Motu Trail - $28,573
- Queenstown Trails Trust: Queenstown Trails - $23,247
- Hauraki Rail Trail Charitable Trust: Hauraki Rail Trail - $67,490
- Mokihinui-Lyell Backcountry Trust: Old Ghost Road - $22,637
- Bike Taupo Inc: Great Lake Trail - $26,575
- WREDA: Remutaka Cycle Trail - $56,000
- Alps to Ocean Joint Committee: A2O Cycle Trail - $28,045
- Southland District Council: Around the Mountains Cycle Trail - $116,050
- Otago Central Rail Trail Charitable Trust: Otago Central Rail Trail - $41,700
- Nelson City Council: Dun Mountain Trail - $145,488
- Westland District Council: West Coast Wilderness Trail - $213,563
The Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund provides funding to make sure New Zealand’s predominately off-road trails are maintained to the world class standard expected of these premier tracks.