$10m redevelopment for Oxford Area School and $8 million for other South Island schools
Education Minister Chris Hipkins today announced a major new revamp for a North Canterbury school.
Over $10 million will be invested in new buildings and facilities at Oxford Area School.
“This is a much needed investment in Oxford Area School. Many of the school’s buildings are old and in desperate need of some serious attention, Chris Hipkins said.
“The redeveloped school will get 11 replacement classrooms a rebuilt library and administration block and the gym and technology block will also get an upgrade,” Chris Hipkins said.
In addition, there are eight schools in the South Island that are receiving 15 new classrooms to address roll growth pressures. They are:
- Two new classrooms at Nelson Central School
- Two new classrooms at Arowhenua Maori School
- Two new classrooms at Russley School
- Three new classrooms at West Spreydon School
- Two new classrooms at Heathcote Valley School
- Two new classrooms at Remarkables Primary School
- One new classroom at Grant’s Braes School
- One new classroom at Anderson’s Bay School
“These new classrooms will benefit more than 300 students. Today’s announcement is about relieving property pressures on schools, so students and staff can focus on teaching and learning,” Chris Hipkins said.