Proactive Release of Documents Relating to the Chief Technology Officer Position
The Government is making publicly available documents relating to the position of the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), communications with Derek Handley, and the resignation of Hon Clare Curran as a Minister and Member of the Executive Council. The relevant documents held include email and text correspondence.
A small number of documents, and some parts of the released documents would not be appropriate to release and, if requested, would be withheld under the Official Information Act 1982 (the Act). Where this is the case, the relevant sections of the Act that would apply have been identified. Where information has been withheld, no public interest has been identified that would outweigh the reasons for withholding it.
Included in this release are:
- Documents relating to the development of the CTO position including the appointment process.
- Communications with Derek Handley, including both email and text communications.
- Documents relating to the resignation of Hon Clare Curran from her Ministerial portfolios and then as a Minister.
- Email communications identified as held by the Government that were sent or received by Hon Clare Curran as Minister from her Gmail account, which relate to the CTO position.
- Matters arising from the above.
Not included in this release:
- Correspondence about the CTO position and/or Mr Handley received from the general public.
- Official Information Act requests received from other parties.
- Some information that is already publicly available including the Cabinet paper establishing the CTO position and terms of reference which can be found on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website at: www.mbie.govt.nz/info-services/digital-economy/cto.
- Included in the release is an invitation from WeAreTenzing from earlier this year to a breakfast. The Prime Minister did not attend this event.
- There is some duplication in the information; this is because multiple, diverging email chains have been included.
Information is withheld, in part or in full, with relevant section(s) of the Act:
- Section 9(2)(a) - personal information
- Section 9(2)(ba)(ii) – obligation of confidence
- Section 9(2)(f)(iv) - confidential advice
- Section 9(2)(g)(i) - free and frank expression of opinions
- Section 9(2)(h) – maintain legal professional privilege
- Section 18(d) - information already publicly available