Winners of Defence Industry Awards announced
The Minister of Defence Awards of Excellence for Industry have been announced at Parliament tonight.
Defence Minister Andrew Little said the work undertaken by this year’s finalists and winners not only strengthened New Zealand’s defence capabilities, but embodied the Defence values of Tū Maia, Tū Tira, Tū Tika, Tū Kaha and Kotahitanga.
“Congratulations to the businesses and individuals recognised tonight for their exceptional services to Defence in New Zealand.
“They have gone above and beyond expectations, showing a spirit of partnership with Defence that builds outstanding innovation and leadership,” Andrew Little said.
The work celebrated at the awards includes the delivery of a thermal in-line scope for the NZ Army’s modular assault rifle system, to the development of a Te Ao Māori cultural intelligence app, and the delivery of a world-leading maintenance programme for the NH90 Helicopter fleet.
“The range of businesses and people receiving awards shows just how varied and highly skilled the defence industry in New Zealand is,” Andrew Little said.
“Many of the finalists and recipients represent small to medium sized businesses, which have supported the growth of Defence supply chains across the country with their investment, engagement and training.”
The Minister of Defence Awards of Excellence to Industry were established in 1998 to highlight and celebrate the contribution made by industry to the New Zealand Defence Force and Ministry of Defence.
This is the first year since 2019 that an event to announce the Awards has been held at Parliament.
Award citations will be made available here and photographs will be made available from 1000 Tuesday May 2 here.
The 2023 category winners are:
- The provision of service to Defence as a prime contractor - Qioptiq
- The provision of a product to Defence as a Sub-contractor or small to medium sized enterprise (SME) – Inde Technology Limited
- Special Award - Tū Māia (Integrity) - David Goodrich OAM – Silver Spirit Partners
- Special Award - Tū Tira (Comradeship) – Lionel Ng – Auckland Regional Public Health Service
- Special Award - Tū Kaha (Courage) – Mike Sheedy – Gemtech Solutions Limited
- Special Award - Tū Tika (Commitment) – Patrick Power – Airbus New Zealand
- Special Award - Kotahitanga (Unity) – Steven Renata – Kiwa Digital Limited
The Minister of Defence Awards of Excellence for Industry are administered by the New Zealand Defence Advisory Council on behalf of the Minister of Defence.