Temporary housing providers identified

  • Phil Heatley

The Department of Building and Housing (DBH) has today announced the six kiwi-based companies chosen as providers of temporary accommodation in Christchurch.

Housing Minister Phil Heatley congratulated the consortium of Hawkins/Spanbild/Fulton Hogan; Jennian Homes; and New Zealand Transportable Units who will provide the first 300 temporary accommodation units; and Smith Crane; Hawkins Falcon; and Tranzasia who will make up the panel of preferred suppliers.

"Its great to see New Zealand based companies able to step up to provide accommodation that will help to house people whose own homes need repair," says Mr Heatley.

"Since the first major Canterbury earthquake last September the Government has been working to manage the need for temporary accommodation. The HELP service initiated by Housing New Zealand (HNZ) in September was reactivated immediately following February’s quake. This service put those who could offer temporary accommodation solutions in contact with those who needed it.

"Now as building inspections are completed and people begin to the process of repairing or rebuilding their homes we are doing our best to predict what need for housing is likely to be. Our aim is to keep temporary accommodation availability ahead of demand from those unable to find housing privately," Mr Heatley said.

The Temporary Accommodation Service which has replaced HELP will work with people on a case-by-case basis to assess their need and match them with suitable temporary accommodation.

"Rental costs will apply for temporary accommodation, but these will be largely, if not completely, cost neutral to most homeowners or tenants," says Mr Heatley.

"Homeowners or tenants who have insurance will be eligible for temporary accommodation support from their insurer to offset rental costs.

"Contents insurance policies generally provide temporary accommodation support for at least six months, and often for up to 12 months, depending on the policy. When this support lapses, but a homeowner or tenant's primary dwelling is still uninhabitable, they will be eligible for rental subsidies under the Government's Temporary Accommodation Service," Mr Heatley said.