23 July, 2008
New Zealand Transport Agency board announced
Transport Minister Annette King has announced board members for the New Zealand Transport Agency, which will come in to being when Land Transport New Zealand and Transit New Zealand are disestablished on 1 August 2008. The board will be chaired by Brian Roche, who also chaired the establishment board setting up the NZTA.
"The appointees collectively bring expertise in governance (particularly in relation to Land Transport New Zealand and Transit New Zealand), the establishment of major organisations, finance, an understanding of local government and an appreciation of the Government’s goals for the transport sector,” Ms King said.
"The NZTA is charged with making more sustainable transport choices on behalf of New Zealanders, particularly in terms of moving people and freight using different modes. The board is also expected to work closely with regional transport committees.”
The appointees are:
· Brian Roche (Wellington), Chair. Mr Roche, an accountant and partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers, is an expert in the governance, management and operation of the public sector. Mr Roche has held a number of key government appointments including being the Establishment Chair of the Auckland Regional Transport Authority.
· Garry Moore (Christchurch). Mr Moore is an accountant and has served as a member of the boards of Land Transport New Zealand and Transit New Zealand since April 2007. Mr Moore served two terms as a Councillor on the Christchurch City Council and was Mayor of Christchurch from 1998 to October 2007. While on the Christchurch City Council, he led the restructuring of the council at both elected and administrative levels. He is a member of the Establishment Board for the New Zealand Transport Agency.
· Paul Fitzharris (Picton). Mr Fitzharris has been the Acting Chair of Land Transport New Zealand since 1 March 2007, and has served on the board since May 2005. During the latter part of his career with the New Zealand Police, Mr Fitzharris represented the New Zealand Police Department on the National Road Safety Committee. He is a member of the Establishment Board for the New Zealand Transport Agency.
· Bryan Jackson (Waikanae). Mr Jackson has been the Acting Chair of Transit New Zealand since 8 March 2007. He is the Chair of Vehicle Testing New Zealand and is a past President of the Motor Trade Association. Previously he owned and operated a major Motor Vehicle Dealership. He is a member of the Establishment Board for the New Zealand Transport Agency.
· Grahame Hall (Rotorua). Mr Hall is a retired Mayor of Rotorua and Local Government New Zealand representative, Chair of the Rotorua Energy Charitable Trust and Rotorua Arts Trust. He is a New Zealand Nuffield Scholar, Former President Rotorua Federated Farmers, and Chair New Zealand Agricultural Training Council.
· Alick Shaw (Wellington). Mr Shaw has governance experience gained from nine years as a Wellington City Councillor and from his directorships on a range of government, community and trust boards. He is a member of the Establishment Board for the New Zealand Transport Agency.
· Mike Williams (Auckland). Mr Williams has extensive experience in business and governance roles and is a former information technology analyst. He is a Director of the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited, a member of the Auckland Regional Transport Authority (ARTA), Waitakere Enterprises and Genesis Energy. He has been a member of the Transit New Zealand Board since 2000.
· Christine Caughey (Auckland). Ms Caughey is a qualified planner with a professional background in local and regional government in Auckland. She was an Auckland City Councillor from 2004 to 2007. She is an experienced and certified planning commissioner under the Resource Management Act 1991.
For background information on the creation of the New Zealand Transport Agency visit http://www.transport.govt.nz/next-steps-review-of-the-land-transport-sector-1/
Contact: John Harvey (04) 471 8305 or John Saunders (04) 470 6851.