2012 saw Benefit Numbers DecreaseSocial Development Housing
The number of people on the Domestics Purposes Benefit, Invalids Benefit and Unemployment Benefit all decreased in 2012.
"It will be a surprise to no one that during tough economic times the number of people on benefits increased. The welfare system should be there to support those who need it, and Work and Income were very responsive to those who lost their jobs and needed help," says Social Development Minister Paula Bennett.
“The National-led Government’s recession related programmes have proven very successful in connecting people to the workforce, but those who needed a benefit were able to get one and rightly so.”
In the past two years, the number of 18-24 year olds on an Unemployment Benefit has dropped from 21,576 to 15,858.
In the last year, we have seen a marked decrease in people receiving the Domestic Purposes Benefit, which is now at 95,138, down from 100,266 in December 2011, with 5,128 coming off benefit last year.
Under National, those receiving Invalids Benefit has steadied while the Sickness Benefit has increased by 17 per cent. This is in stark contrast to Labour’s time in government where they reduced those on the Unemployment Benefit only to move them onto the Invalids and Sickness Benefit, both of which increased by 60 per cent and 50 per cent respectively.
"Ms Ardern and the Herald on Sunday need to get their facts right. The Herald on Sunday reported today that changes to youth are progressing through Parliament and will be introduced shortly. Wake up - they passed through the House last year and were implemented in August 2012."
“This is shoddy journalism and scaremongering by Labour. They might not like the truth and prefer to talk down people's chances of finding work, but I believe in people and their abilities, and want to support and encourage them in their hunt for work,” says Mrs Bennett.